header

header

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Meet the Teacher

Welcome to a little piece of my world! I am so excited about blogging my "adventures" in teaching!

I grew up in a small Georgia town, went to Georgia College in Milledgeville, and graduated in 2012 with my Bachelors in Early Childhood Education. I then moved back in with my parents after college to save money while planning my wedding. 


As luck would have it, I entered the job market during extreme education budget cuts. I was blessed to get my first job at my old elementary school. I'll admit, I was disappointed that I didn't get a "real teaching job," but I couldn't have asked for a better alternative. I got to be a first grade paraprofessional (teacher's aide) and work with the WONDERFUL teachers that taught my sister and me.

I got married on May 18, 2013 during the last week of school that year-- yes, some said I was crazy! I even made the two hour round-trip commute from my new home during the last two days of school. My husband is an associate pastor/youth pastor at a little country church. We work together serving in the youth and children's ministry. 


When we got married I had to give up my para-pro position because that commute just wasn't going to cut it. So I was "jobless" for about a month-- frantically checking emails and voicemails on our honeymoon.  In July I accepted an offer to be the Assistant Director/Curriculum Director at a childcare center and Pre-K program about 30 minutes from our house. I spent a year helping teachers navigate early learning standards, lesson plans, accreditations, and inspections-- and of course, playing with babies. :) 

In early 2014, I began the job hunt again-- still looking for my "real teaching job." I was called for interviews at BOTH schools in the county where I had been working, and I am THRILLED to announce that I will be a first grade teacher in August 2014!! 

Although I spent much of my two year waiting game feeling disappointed and longing for my very own classroom, I know that my experiences will make me a better teacher! I certainly have a greater appreciation for everything para-pros and administrative staff do every day and nothing can compare to the hands-on experience I gained understanding child development. 

Well, here it goes... These are my adventures. 

No comments :

Post a Comment